Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Staying Afloat

"…I am not unemployed, I'm on sabbatical."
"Hey, don't get religious on me, okay?"

Simply Blog had a good post about 8 Great Ways to Stay Afloat in Between Jobs .


Check out this video for tips during unemployment:

If you don't want to watch the video, here are the tips for you:

1. Tell everyone you know that you're unemployed.
I know this one might be really hard at first. I definitely wasn't very open in the first few months of unemployment. But to my surprise, I've met people, told them I was unemployed, and they've done everything they could to help. People have offered to get me in touch with their contacts, and even to try to create a position for me in their company. You never know what could happen.

2. Apply for unemployment benefits.
This is a sticky wicket for those recent grads. who have only had the opportunity to work part-time or do internships. You aren't eligible for unemployment unless you've worked at least 26 weeks full-time. While I understand the policy, what can struggling recent grads do? No really, I'm asking you.

3. Create a budget and stick to it!
I love staying on top of my financials. In my relationship with my fiance, I'm definitely the one who is most up-to-date on where we are and what we can do. One of my favorite tools is Mint. You can import your information from all of your banks, investments, and debts. Mint will make a budget for you or you can customize one for yourself. Get Rich Slowly has also helped me figure out how to create and stick to a budget that works for me.

4. Keep your mind open to all opportunities.
I think this is particularly difficult for recent masters level graduates who have had their heart set on one particular kind of job. It's difficult to apply for a job that's not exactly in your line of training or where your heart is set.

5. Pick up odd jobs to make extra cash.
In college I graduated with a degree in music. I always thought I would use my degree and training to teach piano lessons for extra cash but during my unemployment I hadn't really made any moves to make this happen. That changed yesterday though when I put an ad up on craigslist for my services. I've already gotten a response and I'm thrilled that I put myself out there. Why not?

6. Use this time to develop entrepreneurial talents.
*Ehem* Like blogging! Case in point.

7. Take care of yourself to avoid medical expenses.
All I have to say is, thank goodness I've been able to stay on my parents' insurance!

8. Consider applying for short-term health insurance.

There have been some negative comments, especially regarding the childishness of the video. I can see how those who have been unemployed for a long time and those who are older might not find these tips particularly useful or relevant BUT I can see how it applies to youth.

0 comments: