Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Yesterday's Earthquake

In case you didn't know, there was an earthquake yesterday that resonated up and down the east coast. It was my very first earthquake and the biggest one that Mike, my California-native fiance, has ever felt.

I was alone in my apartment when it happened and I have to admit, it was scary and I didn't know what had happened. Being an east coaster, I also didn't know what to do. I consider myself a fairly reasonable person but my first instinct was to run outside with the rest of my neighbors. As I opened the front door and stepped onto N. Charles St. I was amazed by how many people I saw. Every restaurant, every apartment building, every business had cleared out and there were A LOT of people on the street.

Now you are probably thinking, "really, you went outside? you noob! don't you know that's not at all what you're supposed to do". Well, I know that NOW. And if you're from the West Coast I'd challenge you to tell me all the appropriate steps to take during a hurricane or tornado; at least I know that much.

But it worries me that so many people, including myself, panicked and did the exact opposite of what you are supposed to do. Had the earthquake been any bigger, we could have been in trouble.

And if we WERE in trouble...we couldn't have gotten in touch with our loved ones. Cellular services failed on this one. I was able to text and receive data but could not make a phone call for at least 35 minutes. I was talking to my fiance online and he said, "If you had really been in trouble, you would have called". Sure, I called anyway because I was freaked out but it didn't matter...I couldn't get through. It's unfortunate that we spend SO much money on cellular services and when there is an emergency and we actually need them, they can't handle the traffic.

I'm glad that minimal damage has been reported and that it wasn't a disaster. To be scientific about it, it felt *icky* and I don't want to be feel an earthquake again.

0 comments: